Sunday, July 13, 2008

Press.

So I've been keeping a secret...I was featured in the July/August issue of New York Spaces magazine. Cool, huh? Even cooler...the other image is a bowl from the new Eva Zeisel collection.


I've been kind of absent from the online world the past 2 weeks. Last Monday I started my 4 weeks of full-time teaching I do every year. It used to be 6, but thankfully it's now 4. I run the ceramics program at a fabulous Arts Camp. This is me in a couple of pictures from the brochure...This is my 8th summer teaching there. I used to do a lot more teaching. I've taught adult classes at The Clay Art Center and for various non-profit organizations, lots of after-school programs and also classes for Hudson Valley Pottery. For the past 2 years I've only done camp and some private lessons. I just don't have the time for it anymore. But the camp has a nice community feeling about it and the kids are great. The teachers are either art teachers or artists and the kids get to experience a lot of different mediums and techniques. Each week of camp is a new week, with a mix of new kids and kids that go multiple weeks. Each week, each child I see will make something Monday and Tuesday, gets fired (glazed on raw clay and once fired) in MY kiln (the camp doesn't have one) on Wednesday and out on Friday for the art show the children help curate. I know....a miracle. And I don't really have too many problems as far as cracking or work blowing up. I had a few messes over the nearly 50 weeks/50 firings I've done, but it's been pretty good. Unfortunately, while the work is in the kiln, I have to use self-hardening clay the rest of the week. It is actually pretty decent for sculpture, but it smells and both me and the kids hate that and it really dries out your hands.

I'll try not to be so wrapped up in camp and try to update this thing. But after camp it's off to real camping in the Adirondacks for a few days and then off to Mexico on August 6...our 3 year anniversary.

No comments: